Monday, October 26, 2009

Email an old teacher

I work in the field of education and happen to know how much it means to hear that your past students are doing well. With that in mind, I set aside a half hour today to write some letters to my high school teachers.

I told them a few things I remember from their spacific class and how it helps me in my life today. I tried to use a spacific incident or memory from their class to make it personal. I then wrote about what I'm doing now. What state I'm in, the degrees I have earned, the sucessful jobs I have and the overall good I'm doing. It seems like bragging but to a teacher, it means the world to hear that you had a part in something big!

Today, I encourage you to just take a couple of minutes to email a teacher that you remember making a positive impact in your life.

You wouldn't believe the diffrence it makes. As one teacher replied:
 "P.S. If you ever looked through my desk, you probably thought, “How does he ever find anything?” But, in my lower right hand drawer I keep a stack of thank you cards, heart felt notes, pictures and mementos from previous times and wonderful students. I look this stack over every so often, especially if I am having a bad day where the kids don’t seem to want to listen or the lesson bombed badly. It always raises my spirits and puts a smile on my face. I suggest you start a stack like this, when your students get old enough, in your desk. It always reminds me of those oh so cool students that slip my mind on a daily basis. I will print off this e-mail and happily add it to the stack.".

And in turn, it makes you feel good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment